If you think young people these days are inconsiderate, selfish, concerned with only themselves and wear their “pants on the ground“…think again.
Soon after the devastating Haiti earthquake hit, @RedCross tweeted: “You can text “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts in #haiti.”
Kudos to the Red Cross marketing folks for being prepared (excellent online disaster newsroom) and recognizing the fundraising opportunity available to them in this terrible time of crisis.
And, much more kudos to the kids that drove this “texting bus” because they’re the ones credited with leading this Red Cross effort which has raised over $10 million for the cause since this record breaking mobile fundraiser was launched last Tuesday.
This is a great example of using technology to build rather than destroy.
Watch text marketing grow from this effort and put in on your list of things to test for your business too!
P.S.: Here is a list of 8 ways you can help Haiti by texting:
- Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross
- Text HAITI to 25383 to donate $5 to International Rescue Committee
- Text HAITI to 45678 to donate $5 to the Salvation Army in Canada
- Text HAITI to 20222 to donate $10 through the Clinton Foundation
- Text HAITI to 864833 to donate $5 to The United Way
- Text CERF to 90999 to donate $5 to The United Nations Foundation
- Text DISASTER to 90999 to donate $10 to Compassion International
- Text RELIEF to 30644 (to connect with Catholic Relief Services who will instruct you how to donate money with your credit card)
…the 9th way to help is to pray.